Lord of the Rings Filming Location Tour
Lord of the Rings Media Studies Student Tour New Zealand
Discover one of the most popular international film making destinations in the world, and see for yourself why this country’s diverse landscape lends itself perfectly to the silver screen.
Explore key Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Trilogy filming locations in depth – from Fangorn Forest and Isengard in the far South of the country, through Rivendell, and up to Hobbiton in the centre of the North Island.
Immerse yourself in true Middle Earth, and enjoy some of the many exciting activities and local culture on offer whilst here!
Check out what the University of Wisconsin-Stout got up to on their 2017 Lands of Middle Earth Tour!
Kia Ora! On your first day you will get to know Christchurch, including the Port Hills and Restart Mall.
2. Christchurch to Queenstown
Today you will enjoy one of New Zealand’s most scenic drives through the middle of the South Island.
Venture over to Glenorchy and explore the area that served as Isengard in The Lord of the Rings trilogy of movies.
Visit Kawarau River which served as the River Anduin in the movies. See where the Pillars of Argonath sat marking Gondor’s border.
5. Queenstown to Te Anau
Travel to Te Anau and continue onto Kepler Mire, the location used to depict Dead Marshes – The ancient battlefield outside of Mordor.
6. Te Anau to Queenstown
Explore the real Fangorn Forest, where remote cameras were strung from high wires to film Aragon moving through the trees.
7. Fly to Hamilton
Travel back through the stunning Southern Alps and vast Canterbury Plains, arriving in Christchurch in time and fly to Hamilton.
8. Hamilton to Taupo
Today you get to experience the real Middle Earth on a tour of the Hobbiton Movie Set. Continue to Wai O Tapu and later on to Taupo.
In Tongariro National Park you will see the beautiful Mount Ngauruhoe, which was digitally transformed to create the Mount Doom.
10. Taupo to Wellington
Be treated to incredible views of Mt Ruapehu, Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe on our journey South to the capital city Wellington today.
Marvel at the huge range of original movie merchandise in the Weta Cave and see the masters at work on a tour of the Weta Workshop.
Visit the eerie Putangirua Pinnacles, which depicted Dimholt Road in the movies.
13 - 16: Wellington
Spend 4 days at the Massey University campus, working on your illustrations of the locations visited over the last 12 days in NZ.
17. Depart Wellington
Say goodbye to New Zealand and head home with lifelong memories. Until next time!
- Accommodation every night in shared hostel/lodge style
- Continental breakfast supplied by guide each morning
- 11 Evening Meals at a selection of restaurants and accommodation providers
- Airport transfersExpert Haka Educational tour guide (12 days)
- Transport via private vehicle (12 days)
- Skyline Queenstown return Gondola trip
- Try a famous Fergburger in Queenstown
- Hobbiton Movie Set tourEntrance to Wai O Tapu Thermal Park
- Mitai Maori Village Experience & Cultural Show
- Visit Mount John Observatory in Tekapo
- Arrowtown visit
- Huka Falls visit & Guided Walk
- Wellington City Tour
- Weta Studio Tour
- Entrance to Te Papa
- Student Tour packs including some exclusive Haka treats
- Study and explore Lord of the Rings filming locations in depth
- Contextualize classroom studies
- Communication and problem solving
- Exposure to a new culture, surrounding and environment
- Adapt to the environment - Your guide will be on hand to discuss the stunning scenery, local geography and the importance of the environment to NZ
- Responsibility - time keeping, being correctly equipped, personal hygiene, behavior
- Manage own finances and budget, calculate exchange rates
- Create memories and life-long friendships