Coast to Coast
School Geography Tour of New Zealand's South Island
The ultimate geography field trip! This tour will cover the South Island’s fascinating geology and ecology from the glacial land forms of the Southern Alps to marine conservation in Abel Tasman National Park. Students will learn about this dynamic island through their own eyes.
At every turn New Zealand’s scenery provides awe and wonder. With an expert Haka tour guide we will ensure your experience is educational, fun and safe.
Christchurch City orientation tour and Hamner Springs Thermal Recreation Reserve and Water Park
Kaikoura The coastal waters of this marine life paradise are teeming with an array of marine mammals, making the area perfect for whale watching and dolphin swimming, to name just a few of the exciting activities on offer!
Nelson Learn all about the unique land forms of this part of the country, and enjoy exploring the creative local culture of this eclectic city
Abel Tasman National Park Kayak and bush walk through dense rainforest to golden sand beaches in this world class national park
West Coast Immerse yourself in a Black Water Caving adventure deep into the magical limestone caves!
Fox Glacier Stop at Punakaiki en-route to Fox, to view the iconic Pancake Rocks
Fox Glacier One of only two places in the world where you can view glaciers descending into lush rainforest
Fox Glacier Optional Glacier Heli Experience, evening glowworm tour
Queenstown Drive through the stunning Southern Alps to Queenstown, and view waterfalls, glacial mirror lakes and rugged terrain along the way
Queenstown Take the skyline gondola up to Bobs Peak for the best views of the adventure capital of the world!
Queenstown Join our guided hike for stunning views of the southern lakes region
Christchurch Stop at Lake Tekapo along the most scenic drive of the South Island on the way back to the Garden City
- 11 nights accommodation - Hostel/Lodge standard (students multi-share, staff twin share)
- All transport included
- Daily continental breakfast & evening meals
- Expert Haka Educational Tour Guide
- Christchurch Orientation including Gondola up to the Port Hills
- Hamner Springs Thermal Recreation Reserve & Water Park
- Kaikoura Seal Colony Visit
- Stops en route to Nelson: wildlife, beaches and villages of interest
- 2 nights Farm Stay experience at Abel Tasman National Park
- Guided tour through Abel Tasman National Park including sea kayaking and native bush walking
- Glowworm cave visit
- Skyline Gondola Ride in Queenstown
- Guided Scenic Hike in Queenstown
- Stop at Lake Tekapo en route to Christchurch
- Student tour packs with some exclusive Haka treats!
The South Island of New Zealand can be divided into 5 areas of geographical interest:
- East Coast – Volcanism, Geothermal Activity & Marine Ecology
- Northern Coastline – Native Vegetation & Maori Culture
- West Coast – Limestone Landscapes & Lowland Glaciers
- Southern Lakes – Glacial landscapes; Lakes & Fiords
- Mount Cook – Plate Tectonics & Mountain Building