Inspection Tour Case Study
Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) is everywhere and shapes our everyday experiences, meaning STEM education is vital and we must encourage students to understand and embrace these subject areas.
On this tour students will engage with all aspects of STEM from an intensive Space Camp in Huntsville, to the Museum of Natural History in Houston, and the biological wonderland of Florida’s nature coast.
This is a once in a lifetime experience for the students of Mount Albert Grammar School. Students will be exposed to a whole new realm of learning which could in turn develop into an exciting and prosperous STEM based career, as well as creating life long memories!
Please contact your group leader for a detailed itinerary and to register for the tour
TRAVEL DATES: 9th - 22nd JULY 2017
Depart Auckland - Arrive Huntsville Fly from Auckland to Huntsville via Houston. Make your way to the US Space & Rocket Center. For the next 5 days you will stand up to the test of simulated space missions, rocket launches and realistic astronaut simulators in an intense Space Camp Academy.
Space Camp Huntsville A typical day at Space Camp will include a range of activities from team building and leadership to astronaut training simulators and rocket construction.
Space Camp Huntsville Briefings on the past, present and future of space exploration are conducted amid space artifacts to show students real-world applications of STEM.
Space Camp Huntsville Train on astronaut simulators including Multi-Axis Trainer, the five degrees of freedom chair and the 1/6 gravity chair.
Space Camp Huntsville Experience movies in SpaceDome IMAX or in the National Geographic Theatre. Discover the thrill of simulated space missions and as you are enrolled in Advance Space Academy trainees can experience a scuba based microgravity orientation in the underwater astronaut trainer!
Huntsville to Orlando Celebrate your achievements during the graduation ceremony in your official Space Camp flight suit. This afternoon hop on an afternoon flight to the Sunshine State - Florida.
Orlando No visit to Florida is complete without a day at Walt Disney World Resort. Decide between one of the four awesome theme parks to visit: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios!
Orlando Spend today on Florida’s nature coast - a biological wonderland. You will have an opportunity to swim with manatees in the spring-fed Wildlife refuge which is a unique privilege. Learn about these amazing animals and enjoy the passive interaction experience.
Orlando There’s no better way to end your time in Orlando than a day at Universal Orlando Resort which is an entire universe of action, thrills and excitement! Choose between one of the two amazing theme parks - Universal Studios and Universal’s Islands of Adventure.
Orlando to Houston Take the flight back to Houston this morning and spend the afternoon at Hermann Park. Tonight we’ve lined up a quintessential American experience which is also known as a national pastime…Baseball!
Houston Today will head to the Space Center Houston, the home of NASA Mission Control, and take part in the Outer Space Academy Programme to learn about astronomy and space exploration. You will be immersed in a digital recreation of the solar system and beyond.
Houston to Auckland This morning you will have time to visit The Houston Museum of Natural Science, followed by some free time to explore downtown Houston or do a spot of last minute shopping. We’ll then head to the airport for your return flight back to New Zealand.
Travel Day Travel time - Cross International Dateline.
Auckland Arrive back to Auckland today as your USA tour comes to an end but rest assured the adventures, memories and friendships will last a lifetime!
- Flights – International & Domestic
- Accommodation 3* standard hotels. Students in quad share rooms (gender split)
- Airport transfers
- Transport via private vehicle as outlined
- 12 x Continental breakfasts
- Entry to Houston NASA Johnson Space Centre
- Outer Space Academy Workshop Houston
- 6 Day Advanced Space Camp Academy
- Lunches & Dinners during Space Camp
- Transfers to and from Space Camp
- Space Camp Official Flight Suits with patches
- Walt Disney World Resort - 1 day, 1 park pass
- Crystal River – Manatees Snorkelling Endangered Encounter
- Universal Studios Theme Park – 1 day, 1 park pass
- Entry to the Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Entry to a live Baseball game, college level or higher
- Student arrival packs to include some exclusive Haka Treats!
- Students will be immersed in science, technology, engineering and maths education while focusing on further studies and career preparation
- Learn about the mental and physical demands for astronauts, engineers, technologists and microgravity
- Teamwork, leadership, decision-making: from mission control to space transport to space station, trainees gain personal and professional insights that profoundly impact futures
- Past history and present developments of Space Science
- Hands-on practical workshop geared towards STEM students
- Educational Wildlife and Nature encounter at Florida’s Nature Coast